By Kendra Hennis
The meeting of the Tuscola City Council was called to order at 7:30 p.m. on March 14, 2022. Council member Alan Shoemaker was absent.
Following approval of the consent agenda, Mayor Dan Kleiss presented a number of service awards to members of the Tuscola Fire Department for their years of service. First congratulated was Travis Gould, who had served for ten years in November 2021. Following, Nick Kidwell for 15 years in October, 2021; Gary Kidwell got 20 years in May 2021, and Todd Ray for 10 years in February 2020. Also congratulated was Fire Chief Brian Moody for 25 years of service to the Tuscola Fire Department in May 2021.
The council also:
* Approved the previous meeting minutes of the February 28 meeting.
* Approved the payment of bills in the amount of $118,863.18.
* Approved a pay request from Donohue & Associates for Joint Water Main Engineering in the amount of $17,507.75.
* Approved a request from Tuscola Kiwanis club for partial street closure in the Forest Glen subdivision for an Easter Egg Hunt on April 9, 2022. Kiwanis President Carol Burwell explained that due to existing baseball and softball tournaments at Ervin Park, the Kiwanis Easter Egg Hunt had been moved to the North Ward grounds. Along with this, Kiwanis will be using part of the Tuscola United Methodist Church for prizes. Burwell explained that in order to ensure the safety of the children, Kiwanis had requested a partial closure of the roads near the crosswalks from 8 a.m. to noon.
* Approved a request from the Tuscola Moose Lodge for the use of Ervin Park for a Car Show from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on July 23, 2022.
* Approved a request from the Boy Scouts for a day camp program and overnight use of Wimple Park on July 15-16, 2022.
* Approved a resolution authorizing the execution of a service agreement with the lowest responsible bidder for the supply of electricity for residential and small commercial retail customers who do not opt out of such programs. This approval allows City Administrator Drew Hoel to sign the agreement with the lowest possible bidder on March 24 in order to meet the deadlines.
* Approved an agreement with Gasvoda & Associates for Chart Recorder Replacement in the amount of $9,981.18.
* Adjourned until the March 28, 2022 meeting at 7:30 p.m.