Camargo Township is charged with keeping five cemeteries maintained. There are over 43 acres that need to be regularly mowed and quite literally thousands of stones that have to be trimmed around. Our job is getting more difficult due to the ornamentation that continues to show up. This includes but is not limited to: floral arrangements, toys, vases, crosses, shepherd hooks, rocks, plants and shrubs, and solar lights. In an effort to improve our ability to maintain our cemeteries, the Township Cemetery Trustees have drafted a new set of cemetery use rules that we hope will help. A number of the items listed above will no longer be allowed. However, shepherd hooks and saddle floral arrangements that are set on top of the memorial stone or vases that are a part of the memorial stone will still be allowed. Anything that impedes our ability to string trim around the base of the memorial stone is no longer allowed and will be removed and discarded (except in the case of the shepherd hooks). Also, live plants and shrubs will be removed. We know that you want to do everything you can to keep your loved one’s gravesite looking its best. However, no one is served by floral arrangements that blow across the cemetery on windy days or the tall grass around the base of the memorial stone that can’t be trimmed due to the over use of decorations. Your help in following these new guidelines will go a long way in making our job easier and keeping the cemeteries looking the way that we know you want them to look.
These new rules will be posted at each cemetery on a large sign that will be easy to read. I am also including the list here so that you can begin familiarizing yourself with them.
* Ownership Rights. All lots in the cemeteries shall be used solely and only as a place of burial for the dead and for no other use or purpose whatsoever.
* Headstones and Monuments. All headstones and monuments shall be set on a concrete base. The setting of each headstone and monument shall be supervised by and subject to the approval of the Cemetery Trustees.
* Ornamental Fixtures Prohibited. No ornamental fixtures of any kind or description shall be placed on any of the several lots of the cemeteries. Any such fixtures located upon any of said lots shall be removed by the Cemetery Trustees or their agent. This includes but is not limited to solar lights, toys, glass containers, decorative rocks, etc.
* Trees and Shrubs. Trees, shrubs, live flowers and vines shall not be planted or placed upon any of the lots of the cemeteries and will be subject to removal by the Cemetery Trustees or their agent.
* Flowers. Flowers may be displayed in vases which are part of the monument or marker, on top of the monument or marker or by hanging on a metal rod placed alongside the concrete base. Flowers displayed on the ground, which interfere with mowing, shall be removed by the Cemetery Trustees or their agent after a period of seven (7) days. No glass containers shall be permitted on the various cemetery lots.
* Cemetery Clean-up. Clean-up of all floral displays will be in the spring after March 31. Any displays left after March 31 will be discarded by the Cemetery Trustees or their agents. Exception to this will be in honor of Memorial Day. However, all displays are to be removed within seven (7) days or they will be discarded by the Cemetery Trustees or their agent.
* Off-Road Vehicles. Non street-legal off-road vehicles are not permitted on any cemetery drives at any time. Violators will be prosecuted.
* Conduct of Funerals. All funerals, on reaching the cemetery, shall be under the supervision of and subject to the control of the Cemetery Trustees or their agent.
* Transfer of Cemetery Lots. No transfer of a cemetery lot shall be valid unless the same shall be registered upon the books and records of the Cemetery Trustees.
* Effect of Rules. All cemetery lots are sold subject to the rules of the Cemetery Trustees as the same are now in force or as hereafter amended.
* Amendment of Rules. These rules may be amended at any time at a regular or special meeting of the Cemetery Trustees.
We look forward to your continued adherence to these aforementioned rules. We encourage you to begin removing the items that you want to keep. Beginning March 31, 2022, we will begin discarding the excess items.
The Camargo Township Cemetery Trustees