The Villa Grove city council met on August 9 for their regular monthly meeting, with all aldermen, plus Mayor Eversole Gunter, Administrator Athey, Clerk Osborne, Chief of Police Rea and Public works director Lake in attendance.
After calling the meeting to order at 6:0 3 p.m. and reciting the pledge, Mayor Eversole Gunter asked for a vote on the consent agenda which consisted of:
* Minutes of the last regular city council meeting, held July 26, 2021.
* Minutes of the last special committee of the Whole meeting, held August 2, 2021.
* Authorization for the payment of bills in the amount of $122,828.55.
* Financial reports for the month ending June 30, 2021.
* Cash balance report for the month ending July 31, 2021.
* Approve request for grant extension from IDNR for Community Center.
* Approve purchase of Christmas Décor for main street, with the understanding that the costs would be split with Ag Days steering committee and the VG Chamber of Commerce.
The motion to approve the consent agenda was passed unanimously.
Next, Mayor Eversole Gunter called for public comments, and finding none moved on to her report.
The mayor thanked all parties involved for another successful Ag Days, including the committee, business owners, volunteers and the public works department. She also noted that the light poles on the east side of main street are in need of reinforcement, and PW director Lake concurred.
Next, Chief Rea made a short report, stating that Ag Days was largely uneventful.
Public works director Lake then made his report, stating that the mechanical contractor was slated to begin the process of installing new pumps at the Adams Street station. He also noted that the contractor noted that the motors used in conjunction with the VFD at the waste treatment plant weren’t the originals, and that this would necessitate updates to the adjoining relay boxes.
Administrator Athey then made her report, stating that she was working on the budget, along with first of month regular business and a rather larger FOIA request. She also noted that the IDNR had verbally agreed to the 24-month extension regarding the Community Center grant.
Next, the council moved to new business, which included:
* The notice of intent to award for New Community Center construction.
* Approval of the bid from Earl Walker Co for annual street coating work.
* Approval of the bid from Illiana Construction for annual resurfacing work.
* Approval of pay request #1/final for Ezell Excavating.
* Permission for wastewater dumping at the sewer plant.
All were approved unanimously, except for permission which was tabled for further information. Blaney voted no to the motion to table, with all others voting yes.
Alderman Pangburn then moved to go into closed session to discuss the sale of community property at 6:23 p.m. The closed session lasted until 6:41, and finding no other business, Alderman Hooker moved to adjourn the meeting at 6:44 p.m.