By Kendra Hennis
The meeting of the Tuscola City Council was called to order at 7:30 p.m. on May 24 with all members present.
Following approval of the consent agenda, the council approved Ordinance 4 amending section 70.18 of the City of Tuscola Code of Ordinances Regulating the Permitting of Golf Carts. In response to COVID-19, the city had suspended in-person inspection of golf carts for permitting purposes, instead having applicants self-inspect their equipment and certify compliance to the city in writing. The process has worked so well that they opted to adopt it permanently. Golf cart permits will also now be a calendar-year permit, meaning that it will need renewed January 1, 2022.
Mayor Dan Kleiss also sent a shout out to all of the students, teachers, staff, parents, and community members who made this school year possible and successful. He noted that there was still a week left in the year but hoped it continued well, and mentioned for community members to give them a thank you if they saw them out. City Administrator Drew Hoel then reported that the city had mailed out letters to residents in the Meadowbrook area that please need to be returned to the city as soon as possible. The city has applied for a grant to fix the water system in that area but it relies on the survey response from residents in the area. The grant could be a great opportunity for the city that they haven’t been eligible for in over 20 years, but they need a 75 percent response.
The council also:
* Swore in Alderman Scott Day.
* Approved the minutes of the May 10, 2021 meeting.
* Approved the April 2021 financial report.
* Approved a resolution adopting a revised City of Tuscola Personnel Policy.
* Approved a Personal Service Agreement with Clark Dietz Engineering for Capital Improvement Planning in the amount of $15,000.
* Approved an Audit Engagement Letter with LWH CPA’s for $16,000.
* Approved a Commercial Real Estate Lease with Gina Romine with Tropical Sno for Swimming Pool Concession Area for the 2021 season.
* Approved the purchase of a Toro Workman MDX from MTI Distributing in the amount of $9,170.87 with the trade-in of the old Workman.
* Approved the additional summer hires of Jason Rennert, pool manager, and lifeguards Tytus Rennert and Bryson Graves.
* Approved the sale of surplus property 111 E. Wilson to MTC Communications for $1,500.
* Approved the sale of surplus property 607 E. Wilson to Larry Waters for $5,001.
* Adjourned at 7:56 p.m. until the June 14 city council meeting at 7:30 p.m.