By Kendra Hennis
The monthly meeting of the Villa Grove Board of Education was called to order at 6 p.m. on Monday, April 19.
Following approval of the consent agenda, Superintendent Carol Munson gave her report . She provided an update on vaccinations, the ESSER II Funding, and said that the Regional Board of Education was held on April 22 at the regional vocational center. Munson also said that there are just a few construction items that remain before final sign off.
Elementary School Principal Bobby Beck then gave his report to the board. He began by congratulating students of the month Gwen Kincaid, kindergarten; Bryce Rudder, first grade; Grace Weyhrich, second grade; Brisey Briones, third grade; Salena Hernandez-Raymer, fourth grade; Nicholas Wilkey, fifth grade; and Logan Hauersperger, sixth grade. He then reported that there was a good turnout on March 18 and 19 at the preschool screening, and that IAR testing was being completed. Beck then said that they have met with the committee for the Summer Recovery Program and it is planning on being held June 2-18. He noted that there was a School Safety Meeting scheduled for May 7, and that they were working on details for the Blue Devil Classic to be held at the school on May 13.
Junior High and High School Principal Sara Jones followed with her report, beginning with a congratulations to Logan Nohren for being named the April Senior of the Month. She then gave a thank you to Marci Howard and the high school student council for planning Homecoming this year. She also thanked all of the coaches who have been working extra hard with schedules, sharing of players, and new guidelines to give athletes the best seasons they can, as well as Ms. Cardiff and Mr. Napolatino for organizing and having solo and ensemble for band and choir students. Jones then sent congratulations to Kenzie Cardiff for getting the best of the day for Solo and Ensemble. She also noted that SAT testing was being completed at the high school, and thanked Mr. Sims for organizing the testing, and Mr. Muraski and Mr. Brooks for proctoring the tests.
She ended announcing some upcoming dates at the school, on May 4 the Honors and NHS Banquet would be held; Ag Field Day on May 6; Prom on May 8; Freshman Orientation from 5 to 7 p.m. on May 11; Tentative finals are set for May 19 and 20, with a makeup day on May 21; junior high spirit day on May 21; junior high skating trip on May 20; May 24 would be a Teacher’s Institute Day; May 25 is a Remote Planning Day; Eighth Grade Promotion will be held May 27 at 7 p.m.; and high school graduation will be May 30 at 2 p.m.
The board also:
* Approved the minutes and closed session minutes of the March 15 regular board meeting.
* Authorized the payment of bills.
* Approved the bond renewals, including the Treasurer’s Bond, General Obligation Bond, Special Treasurer’s Bond, QZAB Bond, and Working Cash Bond.
* Approved the 2021-22 Calendar.
* Approved renewal with the IHSA and IESA.
* Approved moving to closed session to discuss the appointment, employment, compensation, resignation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony on a complaint against an employee of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity.
* Accepted the retirement of Cathy Raymer.
* Accepted the resignation of Bob Parrish, Kim Conn, Kim Cress, Jami Dahl, Brooklyn Howard, Beth Harvey, and Scott Gerard.
* Approved the hiring of Taylor Campbell for Speech.
* Approved the hiring of Jeff Carleton for HS head girls basketball coach,
* Approved the hiring of Roger Kammin as HS assistant girls basketball coach.
* Approved granting the tenure of Candi Thomas.
* Approved the contract renewal of Mel Titus.
* Adjourned until the May Board of Education meeting.