By Kendra Hennis
The Villa Grove Board of Education monthly meeting was called to order at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, February 16.
Following approval of the consent agenda, Superintendent Carol Munson announced that the Villa Grove school district workers compensation experience rating has improved again this year. She noted that this is the third year trending down which should help them be able to attain more competitive and better insurance rates in the future. She also noted that they were waiting on an update on pending legislation in reference to teaching standards. These were presented and the board would have an update at the March meeting following JCAR’s vote.
During his principal’s reports, Villa Grove Elementary School Principal Bobby Beck congratulated the February students of the month: Jeremy Flynn (K), Tripp Adkins (1st), Brantley Pugh (2nd), Lia Kincaid (3rd), Josh Sebbins (4th), Luis Diaz (5th), and Kendrick Roy (6th), He additional congratulated spelling bee winners at the Douglas County Spelling Bee in Arthur on February 12. Villa Grove’s Allison Eisenmenger finished in first, Ben Wilkey in second, Maddie Wicklander in third, and Alex Walson served as the alternate. He thanked Miss Wells and Mr. Reno for all of their hard work in making the bee so successful.
Beck said that the PTO Clothing Drive held on February 6 went very well, and hopes that the school will be able to do another. He also informed the board that the elementary students celebrated the 100th day of school on February 1, that he attended the ROE Breakfast Round Table Discussion groups on January 25 and the Technology Round Table virtual meeting on February 11. Beck ended noting some upcoming dates at Villa Grove schools, March 1 – 5 is FFA Week with dress up days, March 2 are spring pictures, parent teacher conferences will be held on March 11, and Easter Break will be March 29 to April 2.
Villa Grove Junior High and High School Principal Sara Jones followed with her Principal’s Report. She congratulated Kate Eisenmenger for being named the February Senior of the Month, Andrew McQueen for winning the Outstanding Science Student Award from Illinois Science Teachers Association, the ACES team for placing third in their most recent competition and moving to sectionals, and Allison Eisenmenger for getting first place in the Douglas County Spelling Bee. She also announced that the peer tutoring will be held for high school students on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2:15 to 3:30 and all students are welcome to attend, that the 4th quarter Remote Learning Agreement will be sent out this week, and that the music department’s winter concerts are on the Villa Grove CUSD #302 Facebook page.
Jones additionally thanked Mr. Griffith, Mrs. McGarigle and Mrs. Acton for the Pickleball tournament held over the last couple of weeks. Over 84 students participated in the tournament. They are also planning on a staff vs seniors volleyball tournament at the end of this unit. She noted that sports are in full swing, and thanked the boosted club again for the purchase of the Pixellot cameras, as well as Mrs. Acton who has been working hard to make sure the student athletes are getting the most out of this spring. Jones by announcing multiple upcoming dates at the school. FFA Week will be held March 1 to March 5, with dress up days through the week and a thank you breakfast on the 5th, March 29 – April 2 will be Easter break, April 10 is the band and choir solo and ensemble, and PSAT/SAT Testing will be held on April 13. She said that a potential Homecoming parade will be held on April 23, Homecoming activities on April 24, the HS Play will be held May 1, May 4 will be the Honors Banquet, Ag Field Day will be held May 6, and Prom on May 8. May 14 will be the last day for seniors to attend, Finals are tentatively scheduled for May 19 and 20, May 21 will be a remote planning day, May 24 is a Teacher’s Institute, Eighth grade promotion is planned for May 27 at 7 p.m.and HS Graduation will be held May 20 at 2 p.m,
The board also:
* Approved Press Policy Issue #106.
* Approved the minutes of the January 19, 2021 regular board meeting.
* Approved the closed session minutes of the January 19, 2021 regular board meeting.
* Authorized the payment of bills.
* Approved moving to closed session to discuss the appointment, employment, resignation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony on a complaint against an employee of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity.
* Approved the hiring of Heath Wilson as the head high school baseball coach.
* Approved the hiring of Dan Hennessey as the assistant high school baseball coach.
* Approved the hiring of Dan Sappenfield as the head high school boys basketball coach.
* Approved the hiring of Drew Sappenfield as the assistant high school boys basketball coach.
* Approved the hiring of Blake Swan as the high school cheer coach.
* Approved the resignation of Melanie Clapp as the high school girls basketball assistant.
* Approved the resignation of Drew Sappenfield as the junior high boys basketball coach.
* Adjourned until the March 15 board meeting at 6 p.m.