By Kendra Hennis
The meeting of the Tuscola city council was called to order at 7:30 p.m. on January 25 with all members present.
Mayor Dan Kleiss began his report with excitement that the COVID-19 vaccine was being rolled out in Douglas County. He said that the Douglas County Health Department was beginning rollout for the second booster shot this week and beginning clinics for Phase 1B of distribution. Kleiss said that it looked like numbers were heading in the right direction and thanked and encouraged Tuscola residents to keep doing the right thing.
The council then voted to approve the Arcola/Tuscola joint water agency and approved to waive formal bidding. This is necessary due to needed maintenance and repairs at the Sadorus Pump Station. This pump and metering station is the pipeline that provides water to Tuscola, Arcola, Cabot, and the West Prairie Water Company. Some steps have already been completed in the project including sandblasting, painting, and dehumidification. The final steps of the project needed are the installation of one new pump, a variable frequency drive for the pump, and the associated valves, fittings, and flanges. The total cost of the proposal from Engineered Solutions Midwest is $121,447, which will be paid from Joint Agency funds on hand. Each city council is required to approve the expenditure, and it was already approved by the Arcola city council.
The council also:
* Approved the minutes of the January 11, 2021 meeting.
* Approved the December financial report.
* Approved the payment of bills in the amount of $195,833.01.
* Approved a contract with JR Cross Co. for Blower and Installation at the North Sewer Plant in the amount of $10,098.
* Approved an agreement with Bobcat of Champaign for the purchase of a 72 inch Brushcat Rotary Motor in the amount of $7,205.20.
* Approved an agreement for an Intergovernmental Sale of 1998 Giant Leaf Vac to the Village of Atwood for $500.
* Accepted the resignation of Officer Jud Wienke for a full-time officer with the Tuscola Police Department. Officer Wienke will stay with the department part-time.
* Approved an adjustment in the salary of Mike Elsberry to $18,000.
* Approved a pay increase for Water/Sewer Operator Justin Smith to Step III.
* Adjourned until the February 8, 2021 meeting at 7:30 p.m.