By Kendra Hennis
The Villa Grove Board of Education approved Regional Superintendent Kyle Thompson and Assistant Regional Superintendent Zak Standerfer ROE #11 Superintendent Search proposal. This will allow them to begin the search process for a new Superintendent by recruiting qualified and appropriate applicants; reviewing applications; structuring the interviews of applicants; monitoring, participating in, and providing advice to the Board of Education during the vetting process; acting as a contact for the Board of Education in any and all communications with the ROE #11 Placement Team; and providing necessary assistance to the Board of Education. Any updates will be discussed at future meetings.
In his construction update, Dave Ortmann reported that the construction of the gym is going according to plan. The process really depends on the weather, but he has a plan in place either way. He and the board are also looking at new projects that could be used with the maintenance grant with more ideas to be discussed at future meetings.
The board them approved the audit for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2019. In his audit, Russ Leigh reported that they did not have any major findings and the school is in compliance with the Illinois School Code and the Illinois Statues. He did report finding that the bank account didn’t balance to the ledger balance that was recorded, but they were able to make some adjustments to get the correct balance. He also noted that the actual expenses were over budget by ten percent and that there were some expenses in the activity funds that they did not consider student activities that should have been a district expense.
During her High School and Junior High Principal’s report, on the Junior High side, Principal Sara Jones announced that the signups for track are ready on 8 to 18, the Eighth graders went to the Career Conference at iHotel sponsored by Parkland, that the 5Essentials surveys have been completed, and that the MAPS testing is being completed right now.
On the High School side, she congratulated Beau Beesley for being on being named the January Student of the Month and Kyleigh Block for making her 1000th point. She announced that the Seniors who have above a “C” average that have seventh hour study hall are allowed to leave campus early after signing out, that Villa Grove will be hosting the WYSE competition on February 12, track sign ups are happening now, the 5Essential surveys have been completed, and that MAPS testing is now being completed by students.
Principal Jones also attended a webinar on medical cannabis, attended a LPC Principal’s meeting to discuss redoing the football schedule because of the two schools going to 8-man football, and attended the Career Conference with the Eighth graders.
During his Elementary Principal’s Report, Principal Bobby Beck announced that the MAPS Winter Benchmark Testing is in process. He is “Excited to see the student’s growth from the beginning of the year” and that the teachers will be looking over data on Wednesday, January 29. He then noted that the 5Essential survey is now available until February 14. He asked that parents please complete this survey as they need twenty percent for data, thirteen of which is on the Elementary side.
Mr. Jones then sent a thank you to the Fifth through Eighth graders who competed in the spelling bee. He sent a thank you to Mrs. Becky Olson for all she does for the spelling bee and Chad Reno for pronouncing for the bee. The written spelling bee was held on January 24, the oral spelling bee will be completed on January 20, and the Douglas County spelling bee will be held on February 12.
The board also:
– Approved the minutes from the December 16, 2019 regular board meeting.
– Approved the closed session minutes from the December 16, 2019 regular board meeting.
– Authorized the January payment of bills.
– Approved the deal with Farmer Electric to remove and re-set light poles on the softball field in the amount of $6090.
– Approved the final reading and adoption of PRESS Plus, Issue #102.
– Approved the renewal of a three-year contract with Bushue Human Resources for them to provide Human Resource, Safety, and Insurance Consulting on a retainer basis.
– Approved the seniority rosters of the Certified Staff and the Support Staff.
– Approved the application from Barbara Thomas for the working cash bond of Public Official Bonds.
– Approved moving to closed session in regard to the appointment, employment, compensation, resignation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony on a complaint against an employee of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity.
– Adjourned until the February 18 board meeting.