Tuscola Firefighters recognized at City Council Meeting
By Kendra Hennis
Mayor Dan Kleiss began the December 23 city council meeting by recognizing numerous Tuscola Firefighters with service achievements. He began with Lieutenant Jim Heath who has retired after twenty-one years of service. Mayor Kleiss also recognized Joe Carter and Jason Mills for twenty years of service and Tim Bloomer for fifteen years. He also thanked AJ Coady, Ian Harp, Brent Wilson, and Corey Roberts for five years with the force.
On the development side, the council approved an ordinance to annex certain real estate located in the southwest quarter of section 35, township 16 North, range 8 East of the third principal meridian for the development of Love’s Travel Store Property. They also approved an ordinance to annex certain real estate located in the northeast quarter of section 2, township 15 North, range 8 East of the third principal meridian for Ta’ Carbon.
In other news, City Administrator Drew Hoel suggested to the council that they revise the timeline for the Ironhorse SSA. He explained that the only reason to “beat the clock” was in order to file a property tax levy for 2019 payable in 2020. After several discussions with their consultants, Hoel believes that it may be more prudent to instead make this the first property tax levy for 2020 payable 2021. This would allow the project to align more closely with the potential construction schedule and the first debt payment approximately one year after the bond closing. This timeline would also allow them to discuss actual bid numbers, rather than estimates, for the first levy. The council agreed with Mr. Hoel to extend the deadline and discuss this at further meetings. There was no special council meeting held on December 30 in reference to the Ironhorse SSA.
The council also:
– Approved the minutes from the December 9 meeting.
– Approved the financial report from November 2019.
– Approved the payment of bills in the amount of $39,581.49.
– Approved Cub Scout Day Camp at Wimple Park on July 10 and 11.
– Approved going into executive session to review prior executive session minutes and personnel matters.
– Approved a resolution concerning the review and release of executive session minutes and the destruction of executive session audio recordings.
– Approved for a $3,500 NPDES permit application for a PSA with Donohue & Associates for the north sewer plant. This permit is from the Illinois EPA and governs effluent and discharge parameters. The permit must be renewed every five years.
– Approved a salary increase for City Services Foreman Danny Cruzan in the amount of $2,500 beginning the December 30 pay period.
– Adjourned until the January 13 meeting at 7:30 p.m.