By Kayleigh Rahn
Douglas County Toys for Tots volunteers were quite busy this holiday season.
The crew was able to collect and distribute toys for more than 400 children in the Douglas County area, and after more than doubling their collection from last year, administrator Sean Conner gave a little something back for the community support.
The City Council received the token of appreciation for not only allowing the collection to take place throughout town on public rights of way, when Conner asked for permission to begin the collection the city aldermen handed over a bit of their own funds for the cause.
“I wasn’t expecting you to open up your own wallets, but it was very generous,” Conner said.
He said in 2017 Douglas County Toys for Tots helped 163 children have toys for Christmas, and in 2018 the organization helped 403, Conner reported.
“Thank you for your generous support and allowing me to continue this work in Tuscola,” he said before presenting Mayor Dan Kleiss with a plaque of appreciation.
In the business portion of the meeting, the council made short work of the only two agenda items. The council purchased a 2019 Ford F150 for $24,375 from Ford of Tuscola to be used by the Park Department. The bottom line includes the price of the tailgate lift but does not include title, plates, and document fees, reported city Administrator Drew Hoel.
Prior to making the purchase, the council declared the old truck, a 2007 Chevy, surplus property and authorized its sale at bid. Hoel noted that information on the bid sale will be advertised after the first of the new year.
In other business, the council:
- Heard from Kleiss that Becky’s Buddies sent the council a thank you note for their support of the annual Christmastown Vendor fair.
- Approved the minutes from the Monday, Dec. 10 meeting.
- Approved the financial report for November 2018.
- Approved the payment of bills in the amount of $153,774.12.
- Learned Eddie Boutilier and Red Barn Veterinary Service are listed on the TIF delinquency report, although City Treasurer Alta Long reported that Red Barn Veterinary Service has been making payments above the minimum rate.
- Adjourned until the Monday, Jan. 14 meeting.