Skip to content

Real Life Wellness: What is Your One Thing?

By Bill Hemmer

Health is confusing. Every day there are different people and products trying to get your attention about the next miracle cure for everything from obesity to diabetes. We all wish there was a magic pill that would allow each of us to live healthy ever after. But is that even possible?

All of the latest research has concluded that we are all totally different. There is no such thing as “normal”. What is one man’s food can be another man’s poison. This is due to the fact that only about 30 percent of our health is hard wired to our genetics. The other 70 percent of our health is due to what we do every day with our diet, lifestyle, attitude and exercise. This 70 percent is called our “epigenetics”.

The concept of epigenetics has only been around for less than 20 years. What happens is certain genes are turned on or turned off by your lifestyle. So, if you live a proper lifestyle and turn on the right genes, you live healthy. If your lifestyle isn’t great, certain genes get turned off and your health suffers accordingly. This means that identical twins that live different lifestyles but have the same exact genes can have dramatic differences in their health potential based on the quality of the lifestyle they lead.

This leads to the question of, “what genes must I turn off or turn back on to make my health better?” and “Do I have to try to do all of these changes at the same time to make a difference?” The answer to the first question is really common sense. You turn on good genes eating real food, getting enough sleep, exercising regularly and having a good attitude about life. The second question is much trickier.

We have all been taught multitasking is a great way to get more done in a shorter period of time. But new research has proven multitasking decreases the quality of results much more than was previously thought. Especially when it comes to your health. So, finding the most important thing to do right now to get your health back on track becomes even more critical.

Another thing about finding your most important health problem to tackle is that often times if you tackle the proper one, other health problems will melt away on their own without you having to focus specific energy on them. An example would be, focusing your digestion problem and helping your energy and blood sugar problems go away at the same time. If you digest your food properly, you get more nutrients from your food to burn to make more energy. Your blood sugar becomes more stable because you have better energy.

Once you discover the best thing to work on right now, then you can focus 100 percent of your attention on that problem. The more you can focus on one thing, the better the result usually is. So, think about what your one thing is right now. In your gut, you already know what it is. Focus all of your energy on it for as long as you can and see what happens. I bet you will be pleasantly surprised.

Leave a Comment